Image Map

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Inspiration: Office

Last weeks INSPIRATION:FLEX ROOM was successful. I'm not sure how this all works but it says 99 of you 'viewed' the post, but only 7 took the survey. I don't understand how all 99 were not tempted to give me their opinion. So 5 of you said the flex room needs to be the Beer/Wine room, 1 vote for craft and 1 vote for gym. Clearly I have to go with such a strong vote for the beer-wine room.
 
I realize this post title says "inspiration: office". I'm getting there.

I post on the YoungHouseLove forums and sometimes I get responses. I posted about the flex room and got some good ideas like:

     Do three things with it - use the banquette and some great old piece of secretary to do a beer and     wine thing, but also put in a long counter and storage for homework / crafting on the entry wall - I might make that wall like 54" high so the space was more connected to the foyer . . a place where you could set up a romantic dinner for two at a round table at the banquette, but a place where happy hour can happen before you entertain . . but day to day, where kids do homework, where you might craft (get a wall of storage that looks good and not kitchen-y, a banquette in the far corner under the window with a small round table, and some great vintage looking piece full of wine and cocktail serving stuff ..-LibraDesignEye

     I'm not sure about your lifestyle, but for me, an extra "flex" room would immediately become a place for my overstuffed, extra wide chair, matching ottoman, console desk, maybe a live (or faux) plant, and a pile of books (actually, I only read kindle, so make that a USB charging station). I would call it "The Reading Room" and it would be super fancy and people would assume I am cultured and magnificent (instead of overly romantic and famished for a new-cheesy-Harlequin-read). But maybe that's just me. What are the dimensions of this room? Are you open to knocking down the wall between the door and the room, thereby making it into a larger foyer area-- or leaving it partitioned off and creating an area for shoe, coat storage. Maybe add a bench and some hooks? I guess it all depends on the dimensions of the room-- I love the idea of a study there. In the past, I'm sure it was meant as a formal dining area or formal living area-- somewhere visitors got to sit, where no living actually took place. -MrsG_103.

So I thought about the survey, and my lovely responders and here is what I decided: I am going to make the FLEX room the entertaining/wine/beer room. But I really like MrsG and her overstuffed chair. I can read my racy books while drinking a glass of wine. Its a win-win. The room is 12-6x14 (?) so I think I can make all that work.

So now this office room across the way.....

NOTE: The door to the office might get moved to the living room side....undecided.
 
In my head and on my idea boards I had this lovely single desk office picked out. So classy. But Kyle was like...that is so not us. And I agree. So I went back to my flex room idea and decided this will be our office/craft area. And this is my inspiration picture:
And BONUS I found a blog where someone built this exact center table. So that is flagged.
 
And I really want this as the office door:

Kyle said he likes more cabs and counter for his office needs and kids studying. I agree, this is a room for the whole family to use. So essentially I'm getting 2 out of the 3 rooms I wanted.  I'm thinking I can make a gym space in the bonus room. Can we say CAKE AND ICE CREAM TOO! something will burst this bubble I'm sure of it. But I'll take it for now.

So if you'd like to fantasize with me, about a pretty single office, here is a picture.
 
You can also check out my HOUZZ office board for more pics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment