Image Map

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Inspiration: Exterior

So I am told that the first major design decision I need to make is the exterior. Like what siding do I want, what pattern, etc. Color comes later (I think) but it has to be all planned out. I have thought a lot about this, and there are tons of different options. So I'll show you my faves, and what the pros and cons are to me. Then you take the survey below and help me. Who doesn't love a survey?!

Option 1: I LOVE this color. This is the Young House Love show house. The color is called newburg green by Benjamin Moore. I think its a nice pop of color without screaming. I see it being a nice alternative to the greys and browns. And I like how this house has a cozy PNW feel to it with the natural cedar.
Pros: Color, Ceadar accents, white trim, rock trim, single post, shingle siding painted and lap siding.
Cons: Can the same concept be acheived on a single story, kyle is not a fan of painted shingles


Option 2: I like how clean and neutral this look is. Its a classic, something everyone likes. I like how it uses a combo of all the materials: lap, shingle and board & batten. Plus the rock. And this has the dlb post colums.
Pros: Color, materials.
cons: Do I want grey like everyone else? Well all the materials make it look pieced together?

Option 3: Now you could go grey or blue with this scheme....which I like. Again, great PNW feel with the natural shingles. I don't like the rock they used, but thats easy to change. Has shed and peak dormers like us. And its hard for me to tell, but I think this house has grey windows.
Pros: mix of color and materials.
cons: Looks like we counldn't decide and threw everything on the house.


Whats a girl to do?! Kyle is on the fence about blue. He loves grey. He hates white...but its so clean and crisp. But we do live in the PNW where it rains, so would the house also have dirt splats on it?
This house is Chip and Joanna Gaines (Magnolia) house in Waco, TX. Of course I have a special place for that since I lived in waco for almost 3 years. I love Joanna's style and so wish I could go visit her shop for some decor. You can watch them on HGTV on their show Fixer Upper. They have great ideas.
 
Now granted, all these pics show houses with WHITE windows and WHITE trim. BUT, I'm not married to that. Because I have seen a lot of houses with black or grey windows too. And I kind of like it.

 
 So what would you do? To remember what our exterior looks like, go to the Floor Plan page and they are almost at the bottom. There is no pic of the back, but it too has two peaks.  
 I think the survey's are fun. I love getting your feedback. Do you like the surveys? Also, I think I set the answers to let you pick multiple answers, if you can't commit to just one- story of my life. So that may or may not be helpful :-)
*Click NEXT at the end to submit the survey.
Powered By RationalSurvey

No comments:

Post a Comment