Image Map

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Inspiration: Living Room

Survey says: There is a survey at the bottom of the post. Help a girl out with all these decisions! Click NEXT button to submit survey answers. Thank You!!

I Figured I would focus on this room next, since its in the main area of the Kitchen and dining too. We have a large open concept as you will be able to see from the layout on the floor plan page.  So everything needs to flow together well. Not sure how I will pull that off, but I'm gonna try. Again our walls/ceiling will be 9ft and vaulted. So it'll have a nice big feel. I've seen pictures with a big lighting piece in the middle...and I like that sometimes. Kyle will most likely want to just go with can lights, and I'm ok with that too. My "not gonna budge" platform is pedants above the island in the kitchen. So I could spend more there if I don't get a big light above the living room.  Also, there will be a big light hanging down in the entry way, and you will see that from the LR. So I don't want to over-do it (can't belived I said that!)

One feature that Kyle and I agree on is the patio slider. We were originally going with a 16'w x 8'h slider. Kyle consulted with some GC's he works with and they don't love them. They said for some reason the 16' tend to have leak issues, and if you go down to the 12' they just haven't seen that happen. So we were like "eh, 12' works." So it will be a 4-panel 12' slider. Like this, except no upper windows on ours, these are most likely 10ft walls/ceiling:



Now, as far as furniture goes, I'm all over the place I feel. I think I really want a sectional couch. This way a lot of people can sit in the LR, its comfy, etc. I also like chairs with fun patterns and a rustic/industrial sort of coffee table. I don't feel I'll need lamps, or a bunch of tables for knick knacks- not my thing. But side tables are good for beverages.


So I am a visual person. And I have found it hard to find pictures of living rooms without a fireplace as the main focal point. We will just have a wall with a TV mounted on it. Might do a built-in cabinet, might not. The wall is not a full wall, there will be an opening to go to the hall to the kids rooms. This one picture seems to be an exact replica of what we'll have, just flip flopped (opening to hall on left, not right)

Okay, now side point- What is the story with all this white boards/planks for walls and ceiling?! I get that its part of the farmhouse look. But I just don't think I can make that design commitment. All I can think about is how 30 years ago cedar/wood paneling was big, and now it looks horrific. And in every remodel show people are ripping that off the walls. So would I be doing that with the white boards? HELP! What do you like in your living room? Is it all about comfort? Style? or just a hodge podge of sutff?
 

Powered By RationalSurvey

No comments:

Post a Comment