Image Map

Monday, July 21, 2014

One month down and little pink flags

The first month has gone by remarkably fast. This week my nephews came up from Portland to have a week at nana's house. I must say that I did not think one more person could fit into the house. Well we fit two little boys...and the house looked like a tornado ripped through it for a week. The kids and the boys had a blast together, exhausted every night. I'm not gonna lie, I'm glad the week is over. I had a brief glimpse of what Sue (MIL) endured with 5 kids...and I'm not equipped to deal with all that.

I beleive this paragraph will conclude the "Breve the cat" saga. But don't hold your breath. He of course returned to our old house. And the new owners are taking him in with open arms. We are welcome to visit him. I'm just glad he's safe, and with a loving family. And we will for sure visit, Ellie has demanded it.

We received our bid for the house trusses...drum roll...$18k. Yes, took my breath away for a second. But that was about what our estimate was when we worked it out in our heads. So, I added that to the excel spreadsheet I created to keep track of all this estimating. The total number keeps getting bigger, weird.

Friday, I went on yet another bid for cabinets, and added in some doors and trim this time. Curious to see what they come back with, $$$. I swear all the names and colors are just a blur at this point. And I had this rule in my head for trim, that it needed to be 7% of the wall, so with 9 ft ceilings, that's roughly 7in trim. 7in trim seemed really thick, so I felt comfortable with 6. Well, they didn't carry 6. It came either 5.5in or 7.25in. So i picked 7.25 and thought Kyle could just cut it down to 6. He did not like that idea...so we'll see.

Saturday I went antiquing with Nicole (SIL). First we hit up Country Chicks in Rochester. I stole a find from Nicole, these cute old canisters that are all white. There was a large and a small, $5 each! I'm thinking flower holders on the island. Next we went to Centrailia and hit the main drag, and they were having some antique fest in the street. Good finds. Though I get overwhelmed by it all. I found the cutest milk glass dish. My first purchase of the kind, and I'm sure there will be more.


Sunday Kyle and I marked the property for where we think the house will sit. This consisted of me holding some big tape measure thing, and him walking 100ft and yelling at me to tie pink string to the tree. This also required me to walk through the woods. It was muggy, and the mosquitos were everywhere because Kyle had brush hogged parts of the property the day before. So we tagged and ran. Kyle would be way back in one corner yelling, can you see me?! Obviously no! there are trees everywhere. So hopefully he'll get to trimming those out soon. I'm a visual person and its just too wooded for me to get the full picture yet.





The weekend ended with me finishing up the laundry. No flooding this time. But as I went to throw in the whites, something RED caught my eye. Someone had, with red marker, drawn a star on my WHITE JEANS!!!! nearly fainted. One, I've gained a little weight and don't have too many pants that fit, and this was a pair that does. So the fact that I may be down another pair of pants was scary. So of course I was like WHY would they do this?!!  I marched up stairs to ask Ellie if she knew who did it. In my head I could picture Peyton and my nephews each with a red marker. I knew my sweet, smart, obedient Ellie would not. The minute I asked her who's guilty, while holding the evidence, she fessed up! Shocked is my best description to my reaction. And I couldn't even yell, I was so blown away that it was her. Her reason was that she just wanted to draw on something other than paper. I don't know what the best punishment should have been. But at that moment, sending her to bed was what I choose. She cried while I calmly (I was so proud of myself) talked to her and asked her why she would do that. Still no apology though... Then I was combing her hair, and I was pretty much done discussing it, I just wanted to add one last thing. I said Ellie, what you did really made me sad and hurt my feelings. That hit home, and she apologized. Hoping this was just a little acting out with all the craziness that went on the last 2 weeks.

Oh, I almost forgot to add this. I must say here I was so thankful that Sue (MIL) was around. She knew exactly how to get that marker out. We hairsprayed the shit out of it, with the purple Aussie hair spray of course. Appearantly hairspray is good at this stuff. Then Sue got the oxiclean detergent, not spray, and just scrubbed it into the marker. Kind of made a paste. We just kept going back and forth between the two chemicals. And it worked! Mama doesn't have to go buy a new pair of white jeans. Cuz, its summer you know, they are a staple in my wardrobe right now.

So this week I'm told I'll have the engineered plans Wednesday. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment